In the hopes of inspiring further study of a complex topic, here are some keys to engaging and motivating creative people to produce their best work—in unity:
- See the future. Build a grand vision and work tirelessly until it is shared.
- Get bold. Set crazy-hard-to-reach goals and allow for groundbreaking initiatives.
- Paint targets. Negotiate and agree on outcomes and how to measure results.
- Share the wealth. Construct and publicize reward systems (it’s not always money) that are based on personal accountability and team success.
- Be Radar O’Reilly. Embrace the role of supplying resources and being a resource-on-call.
- Party on, Wayne! Celebrate the freedom to fail and try again. If people aren’t making mistakes they’re not trying hard enough.
- Sit on the bench. Let the players play the game, but capitalize on the occasional teachable moment by coaching.
Learning to lead effectively is a lifelong commitment. I hope this helps you want to learn and practice more.